Event Ideas for Schools
We invite you to celebrate your school, your students, your parents, your teachers and your staff during National School Choice Week. You can plan any type of celebration, meeting, or activity during NSCW. Whatever you choose to plan, make sure that it meets your goals, and have fun! Here are some ideas and inspiration to inspire your own creativity:
Easy In-School Activities
- Teachers and administrators can hand out scarves to students when they walk into school in the morning.
- Hang NSCW posters in the school hallway and have students and teachers pose for photos wearing their NSCW scarves.
- Have students fill out the “I love my school” placards, and post photos of the students holding these placards to social media using #schoolchoice.
- Have students make a quick video (using an iPhone, held horizontally) about why they love your school, and share it with us.
- Encourage students to decorate their lockers or classroom doors and announce winners during NSCW.
- Have a “Yellow Day,” where students and teachers wear yellow clothing or accessories, in addition to their yellow scarves.
- Students and teachers can learn and perform the National School Choice Week dance and video tape it. Watch the tutorial at: www.schoolchoiceweek.com/dance.
- Students can speak at school lunch about why they are grateful to attend your school.
- Invite a local dignitary, such as your mayor or a county leader, to visit your school and talk with students.
- Launch a contest to design the school’s yearbook cover or school flag.
- Have students bring in and decorate t-shirts.
- Have students and teachers paint a school wall or mural
Appreciation Events and Activities
- Invite moms and dads to a “Muffins with Mom” and “Donuts with Dad” appreciation breakfast.
- Send “thank you” letters home with students for their parents and guardians.
- Encourage students to keep a gratitude or thankfulness journal during NSCW, detailing the different ways they are grateful for their parents and for your school.
- Give students construction paper or note cards and ask them to write notes to their parents, thanking them for choosing your school.
Learning Events and Activities
- Plan a science fair or plant a community garden during NSCW.
- Schedule a family art night, where students and their parents can participate in art projects that can be displayed at your school.
- Hold a craft night, where students and parents can use recycled materials as art supplies and learn about the importance of conservation.
- Develop a special class, play, or video about your school’s history.
Events to Increase Enrollment
- Arrange school tours for prospective students and their parents.
- Host an open house to promote your school to potential students and their parents.
- Conduct interviews with local radio and television shows to promote your school.
- Post information, photos, and testimonials about your school on social media, each day during National School Choice Week. (Use #schoolchoice in your posts!)
Community Activities and Events
- Plan a talent show for students and teachers, or a student and teacher awards event.
- Hold a student poster and essay contest, and publish winning submissions in your local newspaper.
- Take photos at recognizable community landmarks, with students and teachers wearing their NSCW scarves.
- Have students design and complete a community service project, and pose for pictures in their yellow scarves.
- Students, parents, and teachers can wear their yellow scarves, attend a local city council, school board, or county commission meeting, and speak briefly about what school choice means to them.
- Host a school fair or carnival, and invite the community.
- Plan a coffee house night with student poetry.